Padding A Chair

Padding A Chair

A bunch of years ago, I purchased 2 folding bar stools from IKEA. I have used them off and on, but they aren’t very comfortable for any length of time since they are wood with no padding. After recovering a friend’s chairs, I knew I needed to add padding to these chairs and I knew how to do it. I purchased the foam and already had a microsuede that would work great. I cut the foam and fabric and stapled it on like last time. The seat went well. The only difference was this chair had a back to cover. It wasn’t the prettiest job, but when I cover the second chair I will know how to do it right that time. I cut the fabric a little small, so the wood and edge of the fabric shows. The back of the chair was curved too which wasn’t fun. It was really difficult to get the fabric stapled but I think I will use something to wedge the curve next time and it won’t be so bad. Pictures of before and after. Pictures of the...

Read More

Reupholstering Chair Cushins

Reupholstering Chair Cushins

Other than watching TV design shows, I had no other education or real life experience associated with the upholstering of chair cushions – until the last few days! I asked one of my friends if I could upholster her dining room chairs for her. She has two small children and has had the chairs for a while. The frames are in good shape, but the cushions, well, could use a little work. I knew it wasn’t something she would do for herself, and we have been to so many parties and dinners at their house recently that I wanted to do something nice for them. After one of the parties knowing that we would be back for dinner in a couple days, I took the cushions with me (with permission of course) and planned to get them back to her before we saw them next. I had already purchased the milk chocolate colored vinyl since I wanted to make sure it was okay with my friend before actually starting the project – she liked the color and that it wiped off easily. The next day, I took the fabric off the chairs and realized the foam was in bad condition. I had anticipated this, but hadn’t purchased anything yet just in case the foam was in good condition. I headed out and found options at Hancock Fabrics. I don’t know if it was the right choice, but I had two things to choose from: Soy foam or Poly-fil. I felt the better choice was the soy foam since it was similar to what my friend had before, it seemed more cushy, and I liked that it was made of soy with less chemicals. The price was almost equivalent at only a $2 difference for the amount I needed. Taking the fabric off of the cushions was not fun. With Robogrip pliers, hammer, and mini-crowbar, I managed to get all of the staples pulled from the wood. The staples that wouldn’t come out of the wood with the Robogrips were hammered in so that they wouldn’t catch on anything. I sanded the wood with a sandpaper block to clean it up. My hands were tired from all of the pulling/gripping and my knees and legs were tired from having to stand on the wood part of the cushion so that I had enough leverage to pull the fabric off and the staples out – I felt the jolt as each staple came out. After the hour it took to remove the old materials, I had had enough, and I left the reupholstering for the next day. The next phase was to cut the foam and vinyl to fit the wood...

Read More

Completed Side Tables

Completed Side Tables

I finally got motivated while we had nice weather the beginning of September and was able to finish our side tables. In a previous post, I showed them in their unfinished state and promised that I would put new pictures up once they were done. The rest of what needed to be done was staining and putting the polyacrylic on them. I stained them with a medium brown first and then did a second coat of stain in black. The result is a very dark brown that has hints of the black and medium brown. I tried out a new staining process too. I usually stain with a brush (bristle or foam), but this time, I tried out a sponge and used gloves. The stain goes on much more even and so much faster. I was able to stain both side tables and their respective shelves along with the water-based acrylic top coat in one day – I started about 9am and finished about 6pm with bunches of breaks in between. We now have completed side tables. It is on to finishing the desks now with their polyacrylic before it gets too cold...

Read More

Headboard Completed

Headboard Completed

With the wonderful weather we have had the last couple of days, I was able to stain and polycrylic the bedroom headboard. I have posted a new picture on the original post: Bedroom of a Different Color. I was able to get some decent pictures of the wood while I was in the process of staining and sealing. Notice the grain in the wood. This is pine but with the 1st coat of American Walnut stain and the 2nd coat of Onyx stain, the wood has a two-tone effect with added dimension. It looks really cool and I am very happy with my...

Read More

New Side Tables

New Side Tables

My most recent construction project was building side tables to go beside our new couch. When I go out looking for furniture in our area, I just can never find much of what I am looking for design wise. Since I wasn’t able to find the type of tables I was looking for, I designed them after our desk “legs” that we bought from Ikea. We finally have real side tables and not some boxes or make shift table. Once it starts to be nice outside again, I need to stain and polyacrylic the tables. Once I do, I will post new pictures. Some material details about the side tables: 18″ x 24″ laminated pine (3 pcs) 12″ x 24″ laminated pine (2 pcs) 15″ x 23″ laminated pine (shelf) 1 1/2″ rotating plastic wheels (4) #6 x 1 1/2″ flat head phillips wood screws (12) (to attach wood pieces together) #4 x 3/4″ flat head phillips wood screws (16) (to attach...

Read More